Sunday 24 July 2011

The Most Delicious Spot in Paris


Whenever I am in Paris my first stop is always Fauchon.  Lucky for us that live in London Paris is only a little more than 2 hours away by train on the Eurostar.  The food on the Eurostar is not really worth mentioning and after waiting on the predictably slow as molasses taxi queue at Gare du Nord I am always famished.  I usually stay on the Right Bank near the Madeline out of habit since I can now get around pretty well without a map.  So why mess with that?  And honestly I really need to be close to Fauchon as I make more than 1 stop a day and secretly is a big reason I need to go to Paris.

I don't even know how to begin to describe Fauchon other than an extraordinary gourmet food fantasy land.  Fauchon lines a large corner of the Place Madeline with its glorious fuschia accented exterior just drawing you in.  There is a grocery boutique in one large building selling lovely packaged teas, cookies, biscuits, jams, foie gras and so much more making finding the perfect gift ever so simple.  But my obsession is with the deli boutique which serves the most exquisite looking meats, seafood, sandwiches, breads, salads and of course patisseries!  

All of the nimbles are presented in sleek and minimal displays which really highlight the amount of thought that has gone into each creation.  It's hard to bite into some of the desserts because they really look like little pieces of art just too beautiful to cut into.  It's almost better not to look at the price tag when I'm in there and just convince myself this only happens a couple times of year and it really is a treat.  There is open cafe seating upstairs and barstools at counters on the shop level.  I didn't see any highchairs and it is pretty crowded in there.  To get to the tables upstairs there is a long narrow flight of stairs in your way so not exactly buggy friendly.  Not the best for baby facilities but it's pretty casual and the kiddies will be quite happy noshing away on the bread.  And you can always pack a picnic and head to the nearby Jardin de Tuileries.

When in Paris Fauchon is an absolute must and it will leave you dreaming of all the goodies when you get back home!


No comments:

Post a Comment